Coffeehouse.

23 03 2007

Tonight was amazing.
My students, four of them, performed some very small scenes from “Romeo and Juliet,” in front of an audience of about 150. Maybe more. So there were four girls, split into two separate scenes. And the first scene went off without a hitch. And then the second scene went off without a hitch. And then, before I knew it, one of my girls was saying into the microphone something about me. She said that before I came to EAC (our school) they were “kind of dumb,” and then once I arrived things changed. She asked for a round of applause for me from the audience in thanks.
I don’t know if this has ever happened before…this surprise kind of thanks in front of such an audience.
And then one of my girls, who was Juliet in the second scene performance, stood near me at the end of the night. I told her that she was so thoughtful for saying those sweet words, that she had done such an amazing job up there on stage, that she was amazing. I turned and started walking toward the tables where my purse was, and then I heard her voice. “You’re amazing too, Ms. C” she said. And it was all I could do to choke back the tears and take her face in my hands and tell her “Only because of all of you. All of you are incredible.” And I meant it, and I mean it, from the bottom of my heart. These are the most caring, thoughtful students I have ever worked with. I am so lucky to know them and to work with them. I love these kids so much.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

3 responses

24 03 2007
Tina (aka Mom)

I love them, too – for recognizing your gifts to them and your all-around wonderfulness as a teacher/mentor/friend – I want to hug them, too!

24 04 2007
victor

wow miss c you really love us thanks for being a great teacher and a freind

24 04 2007
ginacoggio

Well, it’s true! You students are amazing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: