Never have I settled into a place as quickly as I have these past two days. Already I have:
- a new phone (a BlackBerry. I’m in it for the long haul. It’s a serious phone) and new phone number (917!)
- had nachos and sangria with friends (with real salsa! and real sour cream!)
- gone shopping for summer clothes (at Marshalls where I will return them all because they’re awful)
- SIGNED A LEASE ON A NEW APARTMENT (in Sunnyside! Home!!)
- gotten an oil change for Dennis’ car
- visited my new school
- gone to Starbucks twice
Looking at that list doesn’t seem very impressive, but trust me, doing any one of those things in Brazil would have taken an entire day on its own, so I’ve packed quite the adventure into my first days home.
And speaking of home? Home. Sunnyside. With a view of Manhattan and any number of restaurants nearby: Romanian, Italian, Irish, Turkish, Asian Fusion, Japanese, seafood, McDonald’s. All within two blocks. Starbucks is a bit farther, but I’m not complaining. Our home is freshly painted, nice and clean, and very well cared for. We’re in the process of getting rid of the furniture left behind and starting with a clean slate and a design that’s all ours. Top three things on the list of purchases: a couch, a bed, a dining room table.
Tomorrow we go to Vermont to visit my mom. I think she comes home from the hospital tomorrow. It’s been a good couple of days for her, tiring, but good nonetheless. So maybe she’ll feel even better once she’s at home in her own space.
I guess that’s how my summer will go: visiting home when I can, and creating a home however I can. I’ll either be in Vermont or Sunnyside, two very good places to be.